Mobile Home Transfer

Since a mobile home has axles and wheels and travels by roadway before reaching it’s destination, it is legally classified as an unpowered vehicle by the state Department of Motor Vehicles. It can also be moved to other locations. In this way, a mobile home is similar to a camper, a recreational vehicle, or even a trailer built for hauling.

Specific requirements must be met to satisfy the state that the mobile home is a permanent structure before an owner can legally have a mobile home classified as real estate rather than personal property. When the requirements are met and the application approved, the home becomes a permanent fixture on property and the title is surrendered.

Examples of statutory requirements to have a mobile home reclassified generally include:
  • Removal of the wheels, axles and moving hitch
  • Placing the mobile home on a permanent foundation meeting state requirements
  • Placing the mobile home on land that is owned rather than rented
  • Legally tying the mobile home to the land by filing a certificate of permanent location with the county of residence and surrendering the title to the state
Since a mobile home is considered personal property until all legal requirements are satisfied, states require a valid certificate of title from the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). Therefore when buying or selling a mobile home classified as personal property, the title must be properly transferred from the seller to the buyer to avoid complicated ownership issues and running afoul of state law. If an owner later wishes to relocate or detach and sell a mobile home that has previously been declared real estate, they must apply for a new title and meet special provisions set forth by the state. 

While modular homes are constructed off site from their destinations – like mobile homes – modular homes have no axles or wheels and are carried on flat bed trucks to their destination. Since they travel on vehicles (that have their own wheels) rather than touching the roadway itself, they do not require titling.

If you are in the process of selling or purchasing a mobile home in Georgia, North Carolina, or West Virginia, Attorney Wendy A. Owens can help. Ms. Owens is a member of the Real Property Division of the Georgia Bar and the Real Property Division of the North Carolina State Bar. She is highly experienced in facilitating the transfer of mobile home ownership and ensuring proper titling requirements are met.

Georgia, North Carolina, or West Virginia

For more information, contact Law Office of Wendy A. Owens, P.C. today.

Call Today:

Law Office of
Wendy A. Owens, P.C.

5710 Ogeechee Road #200
Suite 288
Savannah, Georgia 31405
912-927-0705 (Fax)